The Magazine Covering All Aspects of The Indian World
Editorial Business Forum Political News Dispatches & Reports Letters Spotlight Lifestyle Spiritual Health Travel India Sport Scene
April - May 2006
Let Food be your Pharmacy
by Veena Verma
Colourful fruits and vegetables are not only a treat for your eyes but they have also some pharmaceutical compounds present in them which can cure many types of cancers, coronary heart disease and stroke. They help the immune system fight against infection by providing antioxidants which help to reduce the build up of free radicals in the body. Fruits and vegeables also contain health imparting nutrients such as minerals and vitamins. In addition to these nutrients it has been discovered by the 21st Century food scientish Judith Wills who reports on her research in the Food Bible: “They have some pharmaceutical compounds present”.
The pigmenation of the red variety of fruit and vegetables such as tomatoes, red grapefruit, red peppers and water melon; all contain a high compound called Lycopene which can reduce the incidence of heart attack by 50%. Lycopene also reduces bad cholesterol from your blood by removing free radicals which can have damaging effect on your body. It also helps to prevent cancers such as: cervical, prostrate and many other types of cancer.
* Onions, tomatoes, potatoes, broad beans, grapes and apples all have the compound called Quercitin (known as flavonots compound).
* A high intake of Quercitin is linked to lowering the risk of coronary eart disease and helps o prevent eye cataracts and hay fever, as it contains antihistamine properties.
* Broccoli, brussell sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower all contain the compound called Glucosinolaes wich helps our natural defence systembuild up against many types of cancers.
* Pineapple contains the compound called Bromlain which helps the digestive system. It helps to clear blocked arteries using anti-inflammatory properties to thin the blood, preventing strokes.
* Papaya contains a compound called Papain which helps to digest high protein foods and is used as a meat tenderiser.
* Chilliescontain Capsaicin which improves the blood circulation and prevents the formation of free radicals in the body, which can cause premature ageing and other health problems It is also an excellent pain reliever.
* Garlic, onions, leeks and chives are a rich source of the compound called Organosulphides which stimulates the body’s immune system and has been proven to fight against ulcers, heart disease and many types of cancer, particularly stomach cancer.
* Garlic is also rich in Allicin which acts like a natural antibiotic and antiviral. It lowers the bad blood cholesterol and helps in the prevention of blood clots reducing the risk of strokes.